Created By: Game Audio Resource Ltd Date: 25/07/2019 Version: 2.00
This guide will overview how to add a new surface type for footsteps.
Please ensure you have completed Part A & B of chapter 7 before starting this chapters guide step.
- STEP 01: Wwise Data
- STEP 02: Cube Data & Script
- STEP 03: Updating the Default_Map_Settings File
- STEP 04: Test & Integrity Report
Task Time Needed: 4 Hours
Please note: Regrading the The Default_Map_Settings file we can no longer share the file
Chapter 07 C – Step 01
In this step we will add new material types to Wwise: Peddles & Undergrowth
- In the Wwise project Explorer, change to the Game sync tab
- Under Switches > Default Work Unit > Material copy any material type e.g. Concrete.
Then paste it to the same location twice.
- Rename the 2 new switches individually Peddles, Undergrowth.
- Return to the audio tab. Navigate the Footstep_Human_Player hierarchy down to the Sequence Containers.
- Copy one Sequence Container (e.g. Concrete) then paste it twice.
- Rename the 2 new Sequence Containers individually Peddles, Undergrowth.
- Remove the audio assets in each Sequence Container but leave the Silence asset.
- Add audio assets into each Sequence Container.
Place them in the same file location as the previously implemented footstep assets
SFX > FOOTSTEP > HUMAN
- Assign the playlist with the new audio assets placing Silence after each one.
- Now assign the new sequence containers to the material switch (Footstep_Human_Player_Run)
- Save your Wwise project updates and generate the sound banks.
Chapter_07 C – Step 02
CUBE Data & Script
In this step we will assign the 2 new audio material types to 2 unique texture tiles.
- Navigate your local directory to the default_map_settings file.
- In this file find
texture 0 “aard/aardograss_1.jpg”
Change it to
texturematerial 0 “aard/aardograss_1.jpg” “Undergrowth”
- Now search for this texture tile
texture 0 “ik2k/ik_ground_cobbles128.jpg”
Change it to
texturematerial 0 “ik2k/ik_ground_cobbles128.jpg” “Pebbles”
- Save the file updates & Close the file.
The 2 new materials types will now work in game.
Load the map drianmp 3, then locate the Undergrowth texture tiles in the map.
Keep an eye on the Wwise Profiler to confirm all is working correctly.
If you plan to add any further material types, do so before continuing with this guide.
Chapter_07 C – Step 03
Update the default_map_settings file
We are now at a point where we suggest to fully update the default_map_Settings using all Wwise material types we have set up.
As mentioned in Chapter 07 A & B
As you change each line to have an associated audio material type, you can view what the texture tile looks like by searching the tile name in this location on your local drive
–TIP: For speed you may wish to find/replace texture 0 to texturematerial 0 as you willbe updating all materials listed
Also ensure you have tagged water tiles as mentioned in Chapter 07 B.
If you do not have time to update all the data, We have provided a default_map_settings link at the start of the guide that has the most material types assigned.
Note: the material type we have used are:
Concrete, Grass, Gravel, Metal, Pebbles, Sand, Stone, Tile, Undergrowth, Water, Wood.
We cannot guarantee, a straight drop in will work with your build. So it is advised you use the reference file to update your local copy.
Chapter_07 C – Step 04
Test & Integrity Report
Finally, we can do a full test of all the data updates we have added.
- Boot up the game, then connect Wwise and change to the Profiler Layout.
- Move the player character around various maps, moving over as many different texture tiles as possible.
- If you see a missing material error message popup in green, use this chapter 07 A > C guides to fix the issue.
- If you find water footsteps not playing when moving the player character through water, again use this chapters A > C guides to fix the issue.
- TIP: As you test all maps. You may wish to update the Environment_Tracker document to track your progress as mentioned in Chapter 06 A
- Once you are happy with all the updates, save your Wwise project updates. Then generate the sound banks.
- Finally run a quick integrity report to validate no errors have occurred,
you now know how the material process works & how to implement new material types for footstep content.
The next 2 parts in this chapter will Focus on Enemy footsteps.